Dharma doesn't mean simply a duty! Dharma is a natural law of the Universe. So it's your Dhama to align yourself in accordance with the natural laws that govern the universe (and life). It is like swimming down the stream which will help you move faster with less effort. If you swim against the stream, it will be strainful! We use fire or law of gravity for our benefit, don't we?! If we misuse them, they will obviously result in pain and misery.
Similarly if we align ourselves in accordance with the laws of the Consciousness 🕉️ and body 💪, we can lead a happy and healthy life, with minimal stress. Our lifestyle and actions impact the quality of our mind not only in this lifetime; but thier result will be carried forward to the next lives too. Yoga means following a balanced lifestyle to maximize our health, happiness and spiritual growth. This is the only Dharma in Kali Yuga or any other era as per Bhagavad Geeta and other Vedantic Scriptures! 😇🕉️🙏
But yes, every era has different social and climatic conditions and collective Karma. So we just need to align our lifestyles according to it! For example, in twenty first century, addiction to social media and Instagram reels reduces attention span, and focus resulting in psychological and physiological disorders like ADD, ADHD, stress, anxiety, insomnia etc. Lord Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita:
युक्ताहारविहारस्य युक्तचेष्टस्य कर्मसु |
युक्तस्वप्नावबोधस्य योगो भवति दु:खहा || 17||
Which means those who are moderate in eating and recreation, balanced in work, and regulated in sleep, can mitigate all sorrows by practicing Yoga.
Dhrama for 21st century of Kali Yuga
Based on the Yogic principles / natural laws, here are some tips for sculpting happy individuals as well as creating a beautiful Divine Society in 21st Century.
- Breathing Exercises like Anulom Vilom Pranayam, Bhastrika improve oxygen supply to the brain and rest of the body. They also release feel good harmones in the brain. As a result, your focus and concentation will improve. Pranayam also balances both the hemispheres of the brain, resulting in better creativity, clarity, sharp intellect ans intuition.
- Bandhas: Bandhas are Yogic locks that you apply at certain parts of the body after certain breathing exercises. This will increase Ojas energy in you, a non physical dimension of energy. Ojas energy make your life relatively smooth and friction free. Also your unexpended Ojas will be carried forward to your next lives (janmas)! But it is advisable that you learn Yoga and Bandhas only under the guidance of a living Enlightened Guru.
- Chanting & Fine Arts: Pursuing fine arts like music and chanting Aum, Vishnu Sahasra Nama Stotram etc will help improve your attention span and concentration.
- Ahara, Vihara: Satvik and nutritious food and balanced social activity will catalyze healthy body and balanced mind. Optimal professional activity and charitable work in accordance with the principles of Karma Yoga will result in happy and fulfilling life.
- Physical Exercise: Yogasanas, sports, gymming, skipping, walking, jogging, swimming etc will boost immunity and fitness of the body and mind. This will also release dopamine in brain that will free your mind from stress. Yogasanas also strenghen chakras (energy centres) which bring forth your hidden talents.
Following these tips will give you Sattvik energy, resulting in happy, healthy & productive life. Only Happy, Productive and caring individuals who follow Yogic Principles can contribute to a Vibrant Divine Society filled with peace and prosperity.